Monday, November 5, 2012

Antiqued Kitchen Backsplash

 
Our kitchen originally had this silver tin backsplash that I liked, but didn't love. I knew it was an easy fix, and this past weekend gave me the perfect opportunity to tackle on this project. I am thrilled to share with you the results and how I accomplished this look.

Here is the before:


As you can see, it was pretty but it didn't do anything for me, a little to much silver for my taste. Here is the after:



In order to accomplish this look, I first painted the entire backsplash in white paint. I used the color Crisp Cotton by Valspar Paints. Remember, you can use whatever white colored paint you like.
After the paint dried, I applied some rub and buff in antique gold on the raised details of the backsplash.


You can apply this with your bare fingers, I however put on some latex gloves which still works. Do not worry if you end up putting too much of the rub 'n' buff in some of the details, because the next step will help calm down any areas that may have gotten too much antique gold.

 
After each of the raised details in the backsplash were covered in the antique gold, I proceeded to using a Minwax stain. I used a new color they released, Weathered Oak.
 
 
 Take any kind of old cotton cloth, such as an old ripped up t-shirt, and dip some of the cloth into the stain. You do not need to dip in all the way, just a quick dip that moistens the cloth should do. ( I definitely recommend wearing latex gloves for this step)
 
 
After you dip your cloth into the stain proceed to wiping it all around the backsplash. This is were you can take advantage of wiping off some of the spots you may have gotten too much rub 'n' buff in. The stain helps to give the backsplash a pretty antique color to it. When you are done, the end result should look like....
 
 
I cannot wait to show you more pictures of my kitchen once it is completely done with changes. But for now I can only show you bits and pieces, and this is one piece I hope you like.
 
 
 
 
The antique gold rub 'n' buff helps to give the tin backsplash the perfect amount of gold accent
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


I truly hope I explained this project well enough to inspire you to try it. I am thinking I may use this technique on some of my empty frames I have lying around in the attic.
If you have any questions about this project feel free to ask, I would be more than happy to help you out as much as I can.
Off to tackle on one of my projects on my ever growing to-do list. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Big Hugs,
Melissa

I am so excited to be linking up my project with these great parties:

Make It Pretty Monday
Open House Party
Feathered Nest Friday

15 comments:

Deserae said...

I love it!!!! The little touch of gold is just the right amount!!! Very pretty!!!! Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen :o)
~Des

michele said...

i really want to try the rub n buff now on a piece of furniture!

michele

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Pretty! I like the old world look of the antiquing! Thank you for sharing your technique :)

Peggy said...

Does it look more gold or rusty? I love it! I am interested in getting a more pewter than gold look? Any thoughts? Thanks ever so much!

SHM said...

This is gorgeous! I have that same original backsplash only in copper, I like it, but LOVE yours! One question, does your finished backsplash stand to being wiped down with a damp cloth (I'm thinking when I wipe the food splashes off)? Thank you so much for sharing this!
Susie

The Dragonfly On Iron Gate said...

So cute, I just put this up in my laundry room and painted it red. It really finishes a room. You got the old world look perfect ! Happy Fall, Jules ~

MONICA LIVAS said...

LOVE it! Perfect touch!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Great job~ it came out lovely! Sharing at the party tonight~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Perfect idea for an area in my kitchen that needs some spiffing up. thanks for sharing.

Audrey said...

The result is beautiful! I'd love to see more pictures of your entire kitchen. Also, do these modifications make the backsplash difficult to clean?

Unknown said...

Hi Audrey, it shouldn't be difficult to clean because I finished it off with the polycrylic. I would definitely recommend putting a coat on after your done so it protects the paint and rub n buff. :)

Liz said...

I would love to see the pics but they're not showing up. Please help?

Nora said...

Yo tampoco las puedo ver,por favor ayuda.
Gracias Nora

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to see the pictures. I can't get them to show. I am planning on doing this as a backsplash but very nervous. Can you help??

Cindy said...

I too would love to see the photos. We are considering using metal tiles for our backsplash and this is just the info I have been seeking!